Monday, February 06, 2006

Super Bowl Weekend!

Only 2 of us showed up at SMP on Saaturday morning, but Trail Running Newbie Sue Robinette and I had a great time. She's a quick learner and the smile on her face told me she enjoyed the 9.5-10 miles on the rough stuff.
Later that afternoon, several of us trail nerds headed out to Wyco to do some cleanup, trim work, and marking of the course for the Psycho Wyco next Saturday. We did half of the trail in about 4 hours and picked up several bags of trash. I rode my bike while everyone else walked the trails. The hills were a little challenge, but since I wanted to stay with everyone, I did't get to ride fast enough to make it much of a workout until we got to a new section of trail. This is a singletrack section that's VERY tight and twisty and with the ups and downs, you can get anaerobic quickly! While everyone walked though it marking as they went along, I surrendered my marking tape to have a little fun. Did 2 quick loops on that 1 mile section and it was enough for me to consider it a decent workout. Of course that wasn't the end of it for me. When we ran out of tape, I had to ride around the park to go back to the cars to get some more. After riding the roads, I now know that I like running the trails MUCH better than driving or biking the roads. Think BIG HILLS! It hurt, but it was still a good workout that I really needed. It would've been easier if I'd had some food in me. I nearly bonked before we made it to the pub!
For the Sunday morning run out at Wyco, there were 11 runners eager to tackle the almost 11 mile loop in the hills including 3 more newbies! The 5 girls and 6 guys braved temperatures in the teens to get served a healthy dose of fun and punishment on the trails. I was happy to see that Sue came out for this run too. She's a great runner and is just starting out on the trails. I think she's in her late 50s, maybe 60, but she is a strong runner and she's pushed me on more than a few road runs with the KC Track club. I like running with her. She's a very sweet woman and always has a great attitude.
After that run, Markos, his friend Mark, and myself joined Kyle, Stacey, and Shane for finishing the course marking and cleanup. Picked several MORE bags of trash and developed a new appreciation for the hills on the trails. We got a lot of work done and had a great time doing it.

So as far as the workouts went this weekend, I guess I got in about 23 miles running and about 18 biking a mixture of road and trails. Also got in another 8 or so of hiking the hills with the cleanup and marking efforts. I think this week, I'm just going to do some gym work (legs today) and take it easy after Wednesday to rest up in preparation for the ass kicking I'm gonna get in the 50k on Saturday. I'm a little scared about what it's gonna do to me physically, but I'm also excited to get it under my belt! Pain is mandatory, suffering is optional!

2 comments:

onepinkfuzzy said...

thx for the update on BadBen!

Your blog is very cool - I'm having fun reading your various musings...I'll be back for more!

Breeves2000 said...

Thanks I appreciate that! I'm trying to mix it up a bit so it's not just about the running stuff (which I love) and hopefully it'll be interesting for others.