Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Smokin night run!


Yesterday morning, I FINALLY got my lazy butt out of bed in time to go to the gym at 6 am for some weights. While lifting, I pulled something in my neck and had painfully limited movement the rest of the day. Got to Shawnee Mission Park around 5 pm and was able to hit the trails on the bicycle for a loop and a half. Had to knock some guy over on the trails who wouldn't move over and couldn't hear my three requests for him to yield because he was riding with his iPod cranked WAY up. He was pissed when I knocked him over, but it wasn't intentional and it was tight single track. Maybe he learned something from it. Ride faster or turn the music down. Anyway, I went down pretty hard during the second loop and had to cut the ride a bit short so I could make the run with the guys and not make them late. Plus, my hand was killing me from the fall in which I caught myself on some rocks. Nothing broken I don't think, but the bruising and swelling tells me that the tissue bruise is deep. Once I got back and stowed the bike, some of the trail nerds had already gathered and were ready to go at the appointed time. My legs were somewhat warmed up by the ride, but I needed to work on the transition muscles so I pushed more than we normally do on the first loop. Since I led the way, the pace was mine to set and we blew through the first 4.7 mile loop in 35 mins on the hilly, rocky, and rooty single track. I heard a few protests and we waited for recovery confirmation every time someone fell, but they're tough runners and held with me. At the end of the first loop only one runer dropped off claiming he was about to puke. We waited about 3 or 4 mins for everyone to catch their breath and get their heartrate down before continuing on the second loop. The second time around one of the runners went down pretty hard and we slowed a bit more after that so as not to let him fall behind. Still, we finished that second one in 38 mins. All in all, a good day training for me minus the two injuries. I guess that's part of conditioning.

3 comments:

onepinkfuzzy said...

oh, the neck pains! and the hand pains! yikes.

I always try to yell "excuse me" at the folks on the trail when I need to pass - yet they can't hear through their iPods! *sigh*

Breeves2000 said...

When I'm racing, I'm a pretty aggressive rider. When I'm just out for a training ride, I try to give them every opportunity. Hopefully he doesn't have a bad opinion of other mntn bikers as he was obviously a newbie.

Ben, aka BadBen said...

Awesome run for just two days after a 50K, man.