Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Good weekend with the family


This past weekend, Allison and I went to Pensacola, FL to visit my family. We hadn't seen them in a little over 8 months and Allison was needing to see her nieces and nephews. While there, we decided to get in a little 5k run called the Hawkshaw Lagoon 5k which benefits organizations for missing children. For this run, I decided to pace my 16 yr old niece and see how she runs. She's been getting into running for the past few months and I was hoping to be able to give her a few tips. She has a great stride and she impressed me with the effort she put forth. Even when I was pushing her, she didn't try to quit and she kept giving her best effort. She had a personal best time in the 5k taking second place in her age group with a time of 28:46. This was the first time she had ever broken a 30 minute 5k and she was very happy with her performance. I was so proud of her. When she saw the the girl who beat her only beat her time by 1 minute she exclaimed, "I could've run a minute faster!" I hate that we live so far apart. It would be really fun if we could run together. She's a really cool girl and I wish I could be more of a part of her growing up. In the picture, from left to right, it's Alexis, Allison, my sister Ruth, and me.
Sunday we went out on my brother-in-law's boat and I had a brain fart and forgot to put on sunscreen. I now have a bit of sun poisoning on my chest and stomach and some sore shoulders. Even with the burns, I went out last night to my favorite park for some biking and running to work out some of the alcohol and fried foods that I polluted my system with over the last weekend. Rode for about 2.5 hours before running for 40 minutes in the trails. During the ride, the legs were complaining as I worked some crap out of my system and tried to get back in the groove. Didn't find a whole lot of energy in them, but I got in some good hill work and technical work in the trails on the bike and run.

3 comments:

D said...

Thanks for your comment! My running partner wants to meet up w/you guys as well - so one of these weeks we are going to drop in on you guys and run!

Your niece is doing well! Tell her to keep it up!

matt solomon said...

oh bummer, i really wish i had known you were gonna be in pensacola last weekend. sorry i missed you...

onepinkfuzzy said...

sounds like a fun weekend!!!