Thursday, March 20, 2008

Feeling good!

The weather around here has been pretty nice lately. Occasionally, the temps will drop with a cold front, we'll get some more snow and then it'll be nice again for a few days. The snow melts off quickly and with the dry air, the ground stays dry as well.
What all this means for me is that I've been able to get in some good training lately! Today being the first day of Spring, I decided it was time to break out the sleeveless jersey for the bike ride and got a little sun on the shoulders. Went for a run as well and the legs are feeling great. My biking has really improved lately and my cardio is still improving so I'm looking forward to keeping that progression going. I've dropped my running mileage back a little as it had gotten up to around 35-50 miles per week.
Once the race is over, I'll resume the running regimen again and am REALLY looking forward to a new route I've found on the Colorado Trail. To be fair, I guess I shouldn't say that I found it. Jamie Donaldson told me about it since she uses it for training runs. Hopefully, it's been warm enough lately to have melted most of the snow so the trail can be runnable. In driving around on some country back roads, I've discovered where the CO trail crosses some dirt roads and can use these as mileage markers and resupply points for long training runs. I can get in a one way trail marathon run, a 16 miler one way run, a 50k round trip training run, or even a 52 mile training run depending on how the training goes. It's all within short driving distance and I'm looking forward to running and biking it soon.
This Saturday, I'm heading down to CO Springs for a full day of training. First, I have to do a climbing certification which is required for the race. Then, we'll do some navigation, biking, and finish up with a run before heading home. The high on Saturday is supposed to be 46 with a rain/snow mix. It's been in the 50s and 60s all week and now this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to see your training is going well. mine too. it must be nice to have such trails so close to you. i'm jealous. there's shit here in chicago. we're supposed to get 3 - 9 inches of snow this weekend here (whaaa?). I have my first ultra of the season next weekend (clinton lake 30 miler). should be nice and muddy given all the rain they're seeing. Your axs moab race looks interesting. multiple disciplines; wow! good luck with that on the 4/5th.

Shane A. Jones said...

Sorry, You've been tagged. Refer to my blog post "tagged" for details.

Shane